Yes, toothpastes are also tested on animals, after all what do most toothpastes contain except a bunch of abrasives, fluorides etc.
While animal ingredients are a lot less common in toothpastes, animal testing isn’t. In fact, all the major brands like Colgate, Crest, Pepsodent, Sensodyne etc. are all tested on animals.
But, not to worry, there are still a lot of Cruelty-free toothpaste brands and most of them are available in drugstores. In fact, a bunch of them are also Vegan and have options like Fluoride-free, SLS free etc.
Most toothpastes have a bunch of toxic ingredients in them. Some of them being:
- SLS (Sodium Lauryl Sulphate) – SLS is a chemical compound used in various cosmetics and industrial cleaners. But it’s also used as a foaming agent in toothpaste.
- Fluoride – Fluoride is a natural mineral added to prevent cavities. But ingesting too much can be bad. Most municipal water supply is added treated with fluoride and some feel that the quantities of the mineral they get from their water are enough for them.
- Carrageenen – Carrageenan in general is bad and should be avoided. it’s is a food additive extracted from red seaweed and used as a thickener.
This list contains brands that have any of the 3 major certifications (Leaping Bunny, CCF, PETA). If a brand doesn’t have a certification and is part of this list, it means, I have reached out to the brand to ensure they meet the full set of requirements by asking the below list of questions:
- Are your products or individual ingredients within your products tested on animals?
- Do your suppliers or any third party companies test on animals on your behalf?
- Are your products sold in markets where animal testing is required by law (Ex: Mainland China)?
- Is your company owned by another company? If so, can you please specify who?
- Do you have leaping bunny, CCF or PETA certifications? If not, do you plan on filing for any of these certifications in the near future?
Symbols, I will be using against the brand to indicate if it’s Cruelty-free, 100% Vegan, Owned by a parent company that tests on animals. Below list is alphabetized and divided into relevant categories.
🌿- VEGAN 🏢- OWNED BY A PARENT COMPANY THAT TESTS ON ANIMALS
CRUELTY-FREE TOOTH PASTE BRANDS
- Auromere 🌿 (Toothpastes are Vegan)
- Bemndful 🌿
- Burtsbees 🏢 (Owned by Clorox)
- Cleure 🌿
- David’s Premium 🌿
- Desert Essence
- Dr. Bronner’s 🌿
- Green Beaver
- Hello Products 🌿
- Jason 🌿
- Kiss My Face 🌿
- My Magic Mud 🌿
- Natural Dentist 🌿
- Nature’s Gate 🌿
- Radius 🌿
- Tom’s of Maine 🏢 (Owned by Colgate and not all toothpastes are Vegan)
- Uncle Harrys
- With My 🌿
*This post may contain affiliate links.
Disclaimer: By using affiliate links in this post, you are helping support the Ethical Pixie website as we may receive a small commission on purchases made at no added cost to you. They may also offer an added discount to your order. This keeps Ethical Pixie running and we really appreciate your support.
We would love to hear from you! Let us know how we are doing and how we can help you with other Cruelty-free resources. Feel free to comment below with any questions you have or just say ‘hi’.😃